Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Drilling into running

For some this is kids stuff - a customer in Northampton I spoke to yesterday is a seasoned marathon runner - a son of marathon-running parents. I didn't feel that small talking about sports eyewear to him, really.

But I did run a mile last night....OK I've got some way to go and I'm still a tad daunted.

I asked him about correct choices in footwear for cross-country (perhaps team-member Cliff, who has just completed a half-marathon this weekend could also give me pointers) and it seems there are dedicated footwear outlets that have gait analysis services where they video you on a treadmill to determine the best shoe for you personally. They analyse each stride to see at what angle your heel strikes the ground - any angle is bad as it will have an impact on various muscles. I found an outlet in Oxford that I'll have to take a look at.

Oxfam advice suggests I need trainers for the day and boots for the night - the support team will carry them for us.

Anyhow - my customer referred me to Runnersworld.co.uk - and I found this very useful article on getting started and being the salesperson's dream I am - I think I'm enthused already (not at all bemused).

The key element I have learned is to run comfortably and to measure by time, not by distance or speed. Apparently it's the best way to build endurance. I can handle that and so I'll be setting some time frames - the 25mins on the treadmill could have been a bit of a fluke...I'd rather build confidently without injury or burnout and strops!

Question: How do you run by time and chose the route so you get home when you should.....? Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment